*This position is funded in part by the Canada Summer Jobs grant program: applicants must be 30 years of age or under to apply. This position has opportunity for long-term employment.
Habitus Consulting is looking for a creative, insightful, and enthusiastic research associate to support our growing team to conduct research, evaluation and project management duties including:
This position will serve as an excellent training opportunity for someone interested in learning more about the practical applications of research, evaluation, and community engagement.
While this position will support various projects, we are particularly interested in having support with a large scale community engagement project that is focused on anti-racism. As such, someone with extensive knowledge of anti-racism – including lived experience, community mobilization, or academic study – is considered an asset. Priority will be given to applicants who identify as Indigenous, Black, as a Person of Colour, non-White, as a Visible minority, as a racialaized person, or as a member of ethnic or religious minority in Calgary.
This is a contract position:
● Excellent writing skills – with ability to critically analyze and synthesize complex information for a general audience
● Strong interpersonal and communications skills (i.e. comfort and ability to facilitate group discussions, public speaking)
● Strong critical and analytical thinking
● Strong organizational skills
● Ability to work under tight timelines and manage multiple competing priorities
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● Practical or academic knowledge of key social issues that are relevant in Canada/Calgary
● A minimum MA in progress is preferred but professional and lived experience may be accepted in lieu of academic qualifications
● A background in Social Sciences (Sociology, Social Work, Geography, Anthropology, Psychology, etc.) with knowledge of research methods is preferred.
● Experience in cross-cultural settings
● Experience writing literature reviews, reports, and briefing documents
● Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods, with practical experience as a member of a social sciences/community-based research or evaluation project
● Knowledge or experience working with any of the following issue areas: settlement and integration, multiculturalism, Indigenous relations, children and youth, mental health and addition, public policy, non-profit management, strategic planning, grant writing
● Fluency in a non-English language is an asset
● A large proportion of our work is in the areas of mental health and addiction, anti-racism, and immigrant resettlement. Lived experience is valued and considered an asset.
Habitus is an interdisciplinary consulting collective with a mandate to mobilize knowledge and innovate strategy for meaningful social change. We believe that research is a powerful tool to inform practice and demonstrate impact. Our team has experience in research and evaluation in academic and community settings – including qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research design; impact and outcome measurement; program evaluation; and project management. We have expertise facilitating community engagement and providing strategic support for complex programs and initiatives; we have designed collaborative multi-stakeholder projects, engaged diverse and marginalized populations, and developed tools to enhance organizational capacity.
Our team values and endeavors to be inclusive of gender, sexual, ethno-cultural, and linguistic diversity, as well as persons living with visible or invisible disabilities. We aim to be actively anti-racist and to take seriously our role in Reconciliation.
Interested parties should submit a Cover Letter, CV or resume, short writing sample (if available) and two references to: email@example.com
Subject line of the email should read: Application – Research Associate
Any questions about the position or requirements can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted..